Saturday, August 16, 2008

So this is good bye,

So I go home tomorrow... I know I know, time has flown by for all three of you my avid readers, thanks Mom, Jo, David and Jen. Ok so that is four not three but anyway, you know numbers arent my thing.

So I have learned a lot of things here in Liberia for example:

- If women have sex with a man with a large penis they will, not can, but will, get cancer.
- Eating too many peanuts will cause you to create too much sperm and your testicles might explode (this conversation was a whole lot of fun with my still patchy understanding of Liberian English, I was positive that I was hearing incorrectly... nope.)
- I learned that anyone that can walk can dance and a nice sunrise is reason enough to dance.
- I learned just how lucky and blessed I am and that because I have been given much in this world, much is expected of me and I too must give.
- I learned that some people would kill to have been able to sit through my, what i thought was boring, math and sciences classes in high school.
- I learned that meat is meat and worrying about pesky details like if it was bat or beef really didnt make much of a difference.
- I learned that I really do love this field that I am in and I can do it for a long long while and feel fulfilled, challenged, and happy.
- I learned that long distance relationships are rough and that I am much more broken than I ever thought I would be.
- I learned that there are a lot of good people out there trying to make the world the way they wish it could be but that its a lot easier to ruin everything then it is to try to fix it.
- I learned that simple unsexy things like roads can make all the difference for a country.
- I learned Malaria usually wont kill you, that is of course, unless you are already weakened by silly things like chronic poverty.
- I learned I really need to learn how to drive a stick shift. That will be my goal at christmas time to learn from zach.
- I learned that I don't need nearly as many physical possessions to make myself happy and that I am far too dependent on the ones that I have right now.

Well these are some of my thoughts right now, I think they are about to cut off the power so I need to go, I like this blog thing though and I am going to keep posting stuff along the way, although I dont know if my insights will be nearly as profound or interesting when I am no longer in such a profound and moving place.

Thank you all for your support.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nathaniel says ...that is a different Matt!

Anonymous said...

I have to say this trip was worth the temporal cost...you could never learn what you have learned in a book...but could you please stay home for just a little while:)

Anonymous said...

As your 5th reader, I take offense that my name was not singled out as well.

However, as your good friend Poster Child, I eagerly await your phone call letting me know that you've made it back to the states and are settling into your new job and apartment nicely.

Also, I want to come visit. It probably won't be for a while (like next spring at the earliest), but I am determined to see the capitol, especially if President Obama is there ;)

Unknown said...

Matt i've really enjoyed reading your blog! its given me a great perspective here in provo utah. i hope you keep posting!