Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Horror of horrors!!!!!!

So I have broken my foot, well not really but my ankle sure hurts like hell. I have thus been restricted to doing only office work which I will be honest and admit is not my ideal work place but it does give me time to sit down and write out another blog post. Before you start to worry, I am fine. I wish I could say that I sprained my ankle in a more worthy cause like defending a group of nuns and school children from being attacked by rebels or lions or even better,… rebel lions but alas I cannot. I hurt it playing volley ball yesterday after executing a perfect smash (well, actually, I don’t really remember what the play was but for the sake of my ego and posterity I will say that it was actually while executing the most perfect of volley ball moves.) . However, coincidently, we were playing the game against rebel lions so that has to count for something right?

To remedy my vicious sprain my co workers have been trying to persuade me to let them pull it. From what I gather they think that they need to pull and push my swollen softball size ankle all over the place and in so doing they will push it back in line or something like that. I have tried to explain to them that it is not broken or dislocated or anything like that that I just need to keep it elevated and ice on it (by the way, there is no such thing as ice in Liberia) and I will be fine in a couple of days. Since I have been reluctant to allow them to yank on my foot till I want to punch all of them in the nose and I also passed on having the local “herbalist” (read what the western world would call a witch doctor) so instead everyone (I am currently looking at four tubes sitting on my desk) has brought me different creams and ointments. The writing on them is not English, nor any other language I speak, and as best as I can tell from a close study of the writing on the various tubes the medicine comes from Mars. That or Cambodia but I figure either one is going to be hit or miss. So they have all insisted on putting the stuff on my ankle themselves so I currently have four different creams working on my foot. I half expected there to be some sort of chemical reaction and for my foot to spontaneously combust. So far all it has produced is a pleasant cool sensation which I am hoping is not in actuality just my nerve endings being melted by the various chemicals that they are being bombarded with.

Oh well… anyway, all you need to know is that my foot is fine and I will survive… unless the rebel lions come back to finish me off.

3 comments:

Asian Keng said...

next time you'll maybe learn not to play volleyball with people much smaller than you for fear that the silly nice side of you will avoid crushing them again. :)

Matt said...

your right, from now on I will make it my duty to punish anyone that has made the silly mistake of being smaller than me by jumping and landing on them.

I think the truly impressive thing is that he was able to get underneath of me, I mean, I'm huge, I don't really jump that high. it was a real accomplishment that he was able to move that fast to get under me.

Anonymous said...

Warning Jen, I think you are smaller!
Matt you are my hero, such a noble gesture to avoid the pain and suffering of others. As long as the ankle doesn't begin to wither and slough off you should be fine...don't push it though in all seriousness a sprain can take longer to heal than a break (no you shouldn't break it so it will heal faster)
Watch out for the rebel lions I hear they like a "huge" lunch and you can't run very fast either, especially now:)